Why and How to Save on Water Bills. With so many countries following the path of privatization of State-Owned Equities (SOEs) and State-Run Equities (SREs) like Water and Power Utilities, we see many countries poorer communities running into difficulties when it comes to paying for essential services, which is a right in most if not all countries constitutions.
Not only are the poor suffering under this new structuring of paying for essentials services which were before privatization either a free product, like water, or only a low costing service fee chargeable.
But now it seems the higher users, like manufacturing industries and water wasters like the rich, seem to benefit as the more you buy the less you pay per liter or mega-liter?
So it comes as no surprise that Water saving tips has been a very talked-about topic in 3rd world countries such as South Africa as well as 1st world countries such as in Australia.
SO HOW CAN WE SAVE ON WATER BILLS?
LETS LOOKS AT FIVE OF THE TIPS ISSUED BY THE SAME COMPANIES THAT TOOK OVER THE SOEs AND SREs THAT WATER FELL UNDER BEFORE PRIVATIZATION BY THESE SAME COMPANIES:
- 1: WHEN YELLOW LET IT MELLOW WHEN BROWN FLUSH IT DOWN? This means if you urinate don’t flush, but if you defecate only then flush.
The worst part of this money-saving tip is it is been practiced in hospitals and clinics, where urination stained and “mellowed” toilets can and is becoming a breeding ground of viruses and bacteria usually flushed away after every use, makes you think about the spread of viruses beyond our control like Covid 19, doesn’t it?
- 2: BRICK IN THE TOILET CISTERN? It is claimed that placing a brick or two in your water cistern or bending your water level down will limit the amount of water in the cistern and thus limit the amount used when flushing, but what if you don’t have a cistern and flushes directly from the main water line like most hospitals, clinics, and or malls, hence no 1 above I guess?
- 3: WATER GARDEN WITH POT PLANT CANISTER?
- 4: SHOWER TO ONE SONG WITH NO BATHS?
- 5: WASH YOUR CAR WITH A BUCKET OR NOT AT ALL?
The rest of the five needs no explanations as it explains itself and lifts no questions further as is self-explanatory, except the overall question of why was it privatized in the first place and who benefits?