Accidents around the home can happen anytime, and the risk of slip, trip, and fall injuries is no exception. These types of injuries can occur in almost any area of your house, but the good news is that you can reduce the risk greatly with Non Slip Mats.
These mats, as their name implies, are specifically designed to provide stability and prevent slips. They are made of materials with high-friction surfaces that grip the soles of your shoes or feet, reducing the chances of sliding or skidding. Non slip mats are highly effective in high-risk areas like bathrooms, kitchens, and entrance halls, where spills, moisture, or dirt can cause unwanted accidents.
Using Non Slip Mats is particularly important for seniors. As one ages, their bones and muscles become more fragile, and a slip and fall can result in a serious injury. According to the National Council on Aging NCOA, every 11 seconds, an older adult is treated in the emergency room because of a fall, and every 19 minutes, an older adult dies from a fall. These startling statistics highlight the importance of taking necessary measures to make homes safer for seniors.
But it’s not just seniors who are at risk of falling. Children can also be entertained by slippery floors, and pets can be another source of slips and falls. With non-slip mats, you can protect your family from falls regardless of their age.
So, where should you place Non Slip Mats in your home? Aside from the high-risk areas mentioned earlier, the mat’s placement depends on the layout of your home and your family’s habits. Some areas you might consider are:
- Near the shower and bathtub: As one of the slipperiest places in your home, this area is prone to wetness, which creates a potentially hazardous situation. A non-slip mat helps absorb water and provides stability when getting in and out of the shower or bathtub.
- At the entrance: Place a non-slip mat at the front and back entrances of your home to prevent falls from slippery shoes. Wet or muddy shoes can leave the floors slippery, and a non-slip mat can provide a stable surface for wiping feet.
- Kitchen: Kitchen surfaces are oily and greasy, and the risk of slipping increases if there are spills or food debris. You should place Non Slip Mats in front of the stove, sink, and the refrigerator area.
- Outdoor areas: Non Slip Mats are also essential for outdoor areas like the pool deck, patio, and porch.
When buying Non Slip Mats, here are some factors you should consider:
- Thickness: A thicker mat offers better support, which can be especially important for seniors and those with weak bones.
- Material: Rubber and vinyl are two popular materials for non-slip mats. Rubber mats are known for their durability and slip-resistant properties while vinyl is more lightweight and offers a wider range of patterns and designs.
- Size: Ensure that the mat is appropriately sized to fit the area that needs it. A small mat in a large space can pose a risk.
- Cleaning: Non Slip Mats get dirty easily and need proper cleaning. Choose mats that are easy to clean and can withstand washing.
Non Slip Mats are a simple yet effective way to prevent slips and falls around your home. They are particularly critical for seniors but are useful for everyone in preventing fall accidents. So, invest in Non-Slip Mats today to protect your family and yourself.